Saturday, 8 October 2016

A summer plan

Rarely do I plan my sewing. I admire people who plan and I decided I should be one of those people. So I started thinking about what I buy in RTW and it is usually plain colours and usually not the latest trends. This summer I'm going to try and stick to this idea. At the moment I love navy and white. A classic combination that always looks smart. This will be my base, pants, tops and skirts in a variety of styles that are cool and comfortable.
My first project are pants and a top using these fabrics.
The stripe is from Tessuti"s a lovely navy linen.   
The white fabric is from my stash. It is a lovely embroidered white cotton that was hiding underneath some other white fabric,  a very exciting find. I have masses of the white fabric so I think I will make 2 tops. You can never have enough white tops in summer.
These are the patterns I have pulled out.
I have made the Simplicity 1660 before and that was a really nice pattern. I have made McCall's 5050 many times over the years and will probably use this one for a top. The other 2 patterns I haven't used, McCall's 7125 and Butterick 5356. I like the sleeves in the McCall's and the shape in the Butterick. I think either would be fine.
The pants I am using are Style Arc Tessa Pant. A simple elastic waist pant.
I am hoping this will be my summer linen pants pattern.
This is step 1 in my Summer Wardrobe plan.
                                 Enjoy your sewing!




Tuesday, 4 October 2016

September Sewing

Well I was hoping to sew for 30 minutes a day in September unfortunately that didn't happen.  I probably thought about sewing at least 30 minutes a day though . I did some sewing and finished off a couple of items. All the patterns were by Style Arc  the Ursula Ponte Skirt, the Rita Ponte Skirt and the Kim Swing Top.
The Kim Swing top is a really nice top. The fabric I used was a ponte which is probably too thick for this drapey top but I had it in my stash and it went with the skirt.  I'm not wrapped in the colour, it reminds me of  daggy school uniforms, but it was fine. The top is also too long for the skirt but I'm sure I can wear this top with pants.  I added a band to the sleeves because they were a bit short for the cooler weather. and the thickness of the fabric. I made this top straight out of the envelope. I will definitely be making this top again in a lovely drapey knit.
The skirt was so easy. Next time I will peg it in slightly and make it a bit longer. A super quick make.
The fabric was a lovely Ponti I bought from Tessuti's last year.
The other skirt fabric was from my stash; plus I used the remnants from the Rita skirt which I used for the panels. It was a bit short for my liking  so I added a band to the hem.
The Ursula skirt was a bit tighter which could have been the fabric as well but I think it fits better.
In this photo you can see the side band and hem band. It was great to use up some leftover fabric.
All these were good patterns that were very easy to make.

                                                    Enjoy your Sewing!