Search This Blog

Tuesday 30 September 2014

Where did September go?

I can't believe it's October. Where did September go? It has just flown by, the end of term and school holidays , it has been relaxing and enjoyable, just what I needed. Also I have been at the ASG for the last couple of days and did a fabulous workshop on a basic shirt. I learnt so much and I will blog about this when I have finished the shirt.

Back to my August make which was going to be a chambray shirt with McCall's 6436. I made the size 22 with a DD front. I didn't really look at the hips because I thought they would be fine but when I tried the shirt on it was too tight  across my hips. My vision for this shirt was a loose jacket type shirt. So sewing stalled, confidence gone and doubt and disappointment appeared. What to do? I'm still deliberating. The shirt is actually a little too large across the bust, so next time I would go down a size there and then increase the hips or try to decrease my hips, a much harder option than adding a bit of fabric to the sides.
Not a great photo sorry. The shirt is quite tight in the hip area but the bust is great.


One thought was to cut off the top part and leave that, then add an insert into the lower part front and back  so it becomes more of an A line or add gathers into the bottom section. I do have some fabric left over but not enough to make a whole new back and front. Either of those options would work unless someone else has a fabulous idea.

I haven't had much success lately so I need to have a hard think about what to do next. My shirt from my workshop I think will be better.

                                                 Happy Sewing!
                                       

                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment